Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Welcome

I guess today is as good a day as any to start this, so let's get down to it. First off let me introduce myself, my name is MCSUBZERO, but you can just call me Zero. Now I decided to start a blog for no other reason than to express myself, with the hope I might eventually exert some influence on the world around me. Let's be honest, isn't that what we all want? At the end of the day I'm probably one of those cats whose friends constantly tells him should be a stand-up comic or writer. Or maybe my mother succeeded in convincing me that my voice should indeed be heard, cause I am somehow special (she did and it probably hurt more than it helped, but that's for another entry). I think that I'm compelled more by what I see as a deficiency in the treatment and preservation of classic Hip-Hop. As the all encompassing Hip-Hop generation gets older, we must take more strides to respect the pioneering artist and songs that helped turn this urban movement into the biggest worldwide cultural phenomenon ever. I mean we all know of the current power of Hip-Hop with artist from Jay-Z to Common, The Roots to Queen Latifah or even Russell Simmons to Tupac Shakur. Hip-Hop is everywhere and I mean everywhere. Remember a time when you would be shocked to hear a Hip-Hop influenced commercial on T.V.. Or better yet do you remember the first time you saw one of your favorite rappers doing a commercial for anything. You went straight out and got it, Now who can afford to keep up, rappers hock everything from soda to cars and everything in between. But we can't forget the artist of the 80's and early 90's who with very little reward, compared to now, set the ground work that made this whole thing possible. In any other genre of music they put their pioneers on a pedestal, and here we are rewarding amnesia. So here in this blog I will attempt to bring light to that which we are trying to forget. In with the new, respecting the old. Til next time and tell your friends.

1 comment: